Having AltaVista Mail Coexist with Lyris List Manager
The way to have AltaVista Mail coexist with Lyris List Manager is to have AltaVista Mail listen to another port besides port 25 (the SMTP mail default port). Let Lyris List Manager
listen on port 25, then tell it to forward non-Lyris mail on to AltaVista Mail.
Here are the steps to have AltaVista Mail and Lyris List Manager coexist:
1) Install Lyris List Manager, then make sure that it is not currently running.
2) Create an 'A' record in your DNS, which is an alternate name for the current machine. The mail that should be accepted by Lyris List Manager will be sent to this address. All mail delivered to
Lyris List Manager which does not have this name will be forwarded on to AltaVista Mail.
For example, if your machine is currently called "mail" in your DNS, add another entry below it that has the same data, but with a new name, as in:
mail IN A 18.104.22.168 ; the original host name After this change, restart your DNS server.
lyris IN A 22.214.171.124 ; the new "alias" host name
2) With a text editor (such as notepad.exe) edit the file "_Configuration.dat" which you will find in the "avmail" directory. Add a line that says exactly this:
C:\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc\services -- locate the line that says:
Now save this file.
3) Restart AltaVista Mail.
4) Start your Lyris List Manager server in the foreground, by clicking the "Run Lyris LM Now" icon.
5) Go to the web interface with your web browser. Log in as a server administrator, and go to the "server config" page.
On the server config web page, find the field that says "forward mail:". Type this in the forward mail field:
This instructs Lyris List Manager to forward non-Lyris mail to port 26, where AltaVista Mail is listening.
Now, find the field named "Mail Receive Rules". Type the name (or names) of the host names that Lyris List Manager should accept mail for. Any mail that comes in for Lyris List Manager, which is
not addressed, to these hosts will automatically be forwarded to AltaVista Mail.
For example, if your machine was called "mail.mycorp.com" and you made an alias for it (in step 2) called "lyris.mycorp.com", then in the "Mail Receive Rules" field enter this data:
If you have multiple names for your Lyris List Manager server, which Lyris List Manager should answer, enter each of them here, separated by a carriage return. This means that all
mail addressed to "@lyris.mycorp.com" will be accepted and processed by Lyris List Manager, and any mail not addressed to "@lyris.mycorp.com" will be forwarded to AltaVista Mail.
6) Type "shutdown" on your Lyris List Manager server console. Wait for Lyris List Manager to shutdown, then start it again, by clicking the "Run Lyris LM Now" icon.
7) Start your mail program and send mail to lyris@ your host name. For example, if your Lyris List Manager alias is "lyris.mycorp.com", send mail to "firstname.lastname@example.org". A minute or two after
sending your message, Lyris List Manager should have sent you a response back. Now, send a test message to a user on your AltaVista Mail Server to make sure that is working.
You are done!
For more information, see SMTP Port and Mail Receive Rules.